Wednesday, April 02, 2008

One of the songs to be featured in "Talentime".

It was a hit in Korea.

When I first heard it, the hair on the back of my neck stood right on end. I knew then that this would be the perfect song to follow a very painful scene towards the end of the story, and immediately gave Pete Teo a call at a few minutes past midnight.

He said yes instantly. Thank God!

Another song that will be featured in "Talentime" is a beautiful mood piece called "Just Hold On", written by Azhar, a Malaysian in Melbourne who has been winning awards in Australia for his music.

And of course, my father's "Kasih Tak Kembali" will somehow find its way somewhere in the film.

I'm terribly excited about it all at the moment, because the plot has taken several unexpected twists as I'm writing it. It's almost as if it has a life of its own now.

Actors that have said "Yes" so far are Mahesh Jugal Kishor, the three Sharifahs (Amani, Aleysha and Aryana), Hafiz (a brilliant young actor I saw perform on stage in Singapore), Azean Irdawaty, Harith Iskandar, Harith's mum (an English lady in her 80's possessing of a deadly deadpan wry sense of humour), Mislina Mustaffa, Tan Mei Ling, Adibah Noor, Zahim al-Bakri, and Noor Khiriah.

And of course about seven to eight songs which might later be compiled into a soundtrack album.

Inshaallah, inshaallah, inshaallah.

Anyways... here are the lyrics to this song:

"So long, fare thee well
The dancer and the dancing days have taken leave and fell
So turn down this bed of stone
Quench me with the deadly nightshade from the rose that you belong
The long December rain is falling now
Running down on streets to nowhere
Music is my life - you're my sweetest nightingale
But I can't hear it here no more
And I go...
Hush now, don't shake or break
Words have fallen silent like soldiers to the grave
No matter what they do or say
Lay me on the sleepy meadows by the tracks upon your face"

[Words & Music by Pete Teo. All rights reserved 2007]