Sunday, February 03, 2008

"Tora-san, Our Beloved Tramp." Now officially my absolute favourite film of all time.

tora-san poster
Originally uploaded by yasmin the storyteller
It was released in 1969, written and directed by Yoji Yamada.

I saw it over the weekend, and it simply took my breath away.

It was the first in a series of Tora-san stories which through the years amounted to a staggering total of 48 films.

Everything I have ever wanted to achieve in my own silly little amateur films -- slice of life of regular folks, peppered with tragic as well as comic moments, in a heartfelt story that is told through fond eyes -- is contained, TEN-FOLD, in this deceptively simple work of a true master storyteller.

In a few days' time, I shall be leaving for Berlin, and should be back, God-willing, by the 18th of February. Upon my return, I plan to hold a private screening of this film in our office amphitheatre, at 8:00pm on Thursday night, the 21st of February.

Reserve your place now, as our theatre can only seat twenty people!

It's a first-book-first-placed arrangement, and as always, regulars in the comments box get first priority, and those who don't turn up will be denied a place at the next screening.

Now I need a volunteer to coordinate the reservations. Any volunteers? Wira? Faiz perhaps?