Monday, October 09, 2006

"What if?"


treblebass
Originally uploaded by yasmin the storyteller.
What if you
were to take
music
out of my life?
Would I still
remember
how to place the memory
of a friend
or a lover
in its
rightful corner?
Is my heart so
feeble
that it should need
a song
or a movie
or a paperback novel
to weave the plot of
its own story?
Can it not
compose
its own operas
without
echoing
someone else’s
melody?

There was no
music
in that hour
I was born.
No tune,
but the noise
of my mother’s
suffering.
Yet born I was,
and here I am.

And what of the first musical
note
that I ever heard?
If you had prevented it,
and all that came
after it,
would my rainbows
be less
colourful
in some way?
There will be
no music
beneath the stone
that will mark
my grave,
yet so shall
my soul
live on.
There is no
music
at that peak of loving,
when I arc my spine,
throw my head back,
my mouth half open,
my eyes half closed,
and the lightning
in my loin
spreads
across the north,
south,
east
and west
of my body.
How I live for that moment,
crave for it,
hunt for it,
and when I can’t have it,
neither the sweetness of
Mozart,
nor the intensity of
the Degung
can take the place of it.

And as for eating,
let me ask you;
Have you ever heard
a symphony
so rich,
or read a manuscript
so fine,
that it could satisfy
hunger
better than rice?

So now then, my friend.
Why don’t you
take away
your music
and your pulp fiction
and your MTV
and your Hollywood,
and furnish me, instead,
with the drama of
raw kampung vegetables
dipped
in sambal;
the concerto of
a breeze
chasing sparrows
across yellow acres
of padi;
and the unique
novel
that an illiterate, young
farmer
will write in my
womb
with the warm
white ink
of his passion.

For now,
just give me the
sincerity
of unmanufactured
pleasures.