Friday, April 28, 2006

Orked and Mukhsin.


profiles
Originally uploaded by yasmin the storytellermuscle boyon a tablemukhsin & makcik senah.
Orked is ten. Mukhsin is thirteen. They are the best of friends.

With "Mukhsin", I try to examine one common and uncomfortable human experience:

What happens when your very best friend - someone with whom you've been learning to do cool best-friend things like climbing trees, flying kites, riding bicycles and even getting into fights with other kids - starts to develop romantic notions about you?

It happened to me before. Both ways. That is to say, I have had good friends who fell in love with me, and I fell unexpectedly in love with a buddy once.

I feel it's an interesting human condition to look at, because I myself have never been able to understand how, sometimes, something as beautiful as Love can threaten to end something else that's just as beautiful - Friendship.

Has this ever happened to you before?